Some lessons learned along the way.

As I continue on this journey on my way to the big day, I will be capturing the lessons about this sport that I've learned along the way. (I'll be updating this with new things on a regular basis.) It's all thanks to the awesome experience and the wonderful coaching and mentoring I'm receiving from both my Team in Training crew and my online BeginnerTriathlete.com group.

- Swim Lessons -
I swim best when breathing on alternate sides, every third stroke.
I now know how to handle a swimmer who will not break free from swimming next to me by the roll-over method.
It's important for me to save my legs for the bike.
It's possible to get dehydrated in the water.
It's best to breath out while the face is still under water.
Toe cramps are often caused by pushing off the wall too hard.

- Bike Lessons -
A higher cadence can work to ones advantage.
Biking out of my seat works better when in a higher gear.
It's important to keep the heel down.
I should expect to get grease on my right calf. Every time.
I don't need a couple-thousand dollar bike to accomplish my mission.

- Run Lessons -
Keeping a relaxed upper body helps to save energy.
A shorter stride helps prevent shin splints.
Running without an iPod really isn't all that bad.
Good shoes are crucial.


- Overall Thoughts -
Technique rules, no matter what sport you're doing.
Body glide can be a best friend.
It's important to stay hydrated. If you are thirsty, it's too late.
Eat protien within an hour after an endurance workout.
The strawberry-banana flavored Power Gel doesn't taste that bad.
A small cup of caffeinated coffee before an endurance workout can work to ones advantage.
Stretching is essential.
People are caring, generous, and have good hearts when it comes to a good cause.
Attitude is everything.

"What the mind of man can conceive and believe, It can achieve." - Napoleon Hill

-----

I've raised almost $3,000 so far! Help me keep the momentum going so that I can reach my goal!!! Check out my fundraising progress at:

http://www.active.com/donate/tntmi/DunCAN

Comments

Brian said…
You're right Andi. Toe cramps HURT! Keep up the good work.

I can't thank you enough for your dedication and support for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. You ROCK!

Popular posts from this blog

Meeting two heroes in one day

May 21: My First Swim Practice

A Challenge for Change