July 31: Easy Does It
I'm happy to report that I was able to complete my first run in almost 10 days. I have been off of the pavement due to a VERY irritating shin splint in my left leg. Today is the first day that I was able to run in place without pain, so I thought I'd give it a try and go for an easy run.
I ran just over a mile and a half (all the way to our city pool where I then swam about 1300 yards). I paid close attention to my form as I ran. I kept my strides short, tried to land on the middle portion of my foot (as opposed to my heal first), and led my run with my heart, literally (a tip I learned from my online coach, Rich).
The good news is that I'm still walking! I can feel that muscle pulling just a bit, but I am crossing my fingers that it will be okay. I guess tomorrow morning I'll really know if I'm okay.
It's past my bedtime, but I think I'll stay awake just a few more minutes to apply ice, just to be safe.
Thanks to EVERYONE who has been SO supportive throughout this last week. Your letters of encouragement while I've been injured have been invaluable to me...I REALLY appreciate all of the love and support!!!! Some days I really don't think I could do this without you! THANK YOU!!!
---------
Thanks to so many of you, I'm almost to my goal of $5,000! Check out my progress at:
http://www.active.com/donate/tntmi/DunCAN
I ran just over a mile and a half (all the way to our city pool where I then swam about 1300 yards). I paid close attention to my form as I ran. I kept my strides short, tried to land on the middle portion of my foot (as opposed to my heal first), and led my run with my heart, literally (a tip I learned from my online coach, Rich).
The good news is that I'm still walking! I can feel that muscle pulling just a bit, but I am crossing my fingers that it will be okay. I guess tomorrow morning I'll really know if I'm okay.
It's past my bedtime, but I think I'll stay awake just a few more minutes to apply ice, just to be safe.
Thanks to EVERYONE who has been SO supportive throughout this last week. Your letters of encouragement while I've been injured have been invaluable to me...I REALLY appreciate all of the love and support!!!! Some days I really don't think I could do this without you! THANK YOU!!!
---------
Thanks to so many of you, I'm almost to my goal of $5,000! Check out my progress at:
http://www.active.com/donate/tntmi/DunCAN
Comments
I'm really glad your shin splint is getting better. That must be encouraging. Looking forward to biking at Hines on Saturday with ya!