July 16: Can a Spartan Really Appreciate Ann Arbor?
Well, it's happening. Though I am a true MSU Spartan (having lived in East Lansing most of my life not to mention attending Michigan State), I am actually finding that I look forward to going to Ann Arbor. Now, that may sound silly to some. But for those of you who have green that runs through your blood, even thinking of saying that would be a sin. However, my perspective is changing.
Once again, we had swim practice at Fuller Pool last night. The problem with the practice was that it started at 7:45pm. I can't just leave work, head home on a 45 commute, and then head back out for another hour the opposite way. So, I decided to make the most of my time by arriving early at the pool and going for a run. (What else is a girl to do?)
The weather was overcast and a comfortable low 70 degrees, perfect running weather. Ann Arbor has something that East Lansing does not...hills. Lots of them. And now that I'm realizing how important hills are to training, I figured that I may as well explore a little.
My run didn't take me very far, only one and a half miles out and back. But I was able to "step back and smell the roses", so to speak. That area really is beautiful. Granted, MSU has a GREAT campus and I LOVE East Lansing. But I'm staring to grow fond of the Ann Arbor area.
On a practice note, the swim practice was awesome. It was a hard workout, and there were no helicopters flying overhead to distract me. Since Fuller is a 50-meter pool (as opposed to a 25 yard pool like most others), the workout seems to be intensified for me. We ended up swimming 3000 meters. That's 3280 yards, which ends up being around 1.9 miles. WOW, that's a long way. But I did it, and I didn't sink.
Dare I say that I hope to visit Ann Arbor again soon? (Shh, don't tell anyone!)
-----
I'm inching closer and closer to my $5,000 goal! Help me keep the momentum going!!! Donate safely online today at:
http://www.active.com/donate/tntmi/DunCAN
Once again, we had swim practice at Fuller Pool last night. The problem with the practice was that it started at 7:45pm. I can't just leave work, head home on a 45 commute, and then head back out for another hour the opposite way. So, I decided to make the most of my time by arriving early at the pool and going for a run. (What else is a girl to do?)
The weather was overcast and a comfortable low 70 degrees, perfect running weather. Ann Arbor has something that East Lansing does not...hills. Lots of them. And now that I'm realizing how important hills are to training, I figured that I may as well explore a little.
My run didn't take me very far, only one and a half miles out and back. But I was able to "step back and smell the roses", so to speak. That area really is beautiful. Granted, MSU has a GREAT campus and I LOVE East Lansing. But I'm staring to grow fond of the Ann Arbor area.
On a practice note, the swim practice was awesome. It was a hard workout, and there were no helicopters flying overhead to distract me. Since Fuller is a 50-meter pool (as opposed to a 25 yard pool like most others), the workout seems to be intensified for me. We ended up swimming 3000 meters. That's 3280 yards, which ends up being around 1.9 miles. WOW, that's a long way. But I did it, and I didn't sink.
Dare I say that I hope to visit Ann Arbor again soon? (Shh, don't tell anyone!)
-----
I'm inching closer and closer to my $5,000 goal! Help me keep the momentum going!!! Donate safely online today at:
http://www.active.com/donate/tntmi/DunCAN
Comments
I doubt I'll be able to do this with you next year as I can't swim