May 09, 2007: The day I became committed
It's not as bad as it sounds, actually. Bear with me as a tell the story on what got me to this day.
A few months ago after viewing vacation photos, I decided that it was time to get my tail in gear, lose some weight and get in shape. Essentially, just improve my life. I took pretty drastic measures. In one day, I stopped consuming sugar, enriched flour, caffeine, and alcohol. This decision was mostly due to inspiration from friends (especially Lynn and Patrick). They helped me decide what I didn't need to be eating, so I just went with it. Within one week, I felt better and the weight started dropping off, which was very exciting! So I kept going.
I started running, which is something that I've never taken seriously but have done off and on in my life. In a couple of months, I got myself up to 3, 4 and then 5 miles. I also decided that since I hadn't been drinking for a few months (other than 1 glass of wine and 3 yummy microbrew beers one weekend), I may as well stop drinking for GOOD. So, on April 6, 2007, that's exactly what I did. And I haven't had any since. (My friends are now placing bets on me and claiming I need "reverse-intervention".)
Fast forward up to a couple of weeks ago. I saw an ad in the Detroit News about the Marathon in October. This ad talked about how someone could designate a charity and raise money for them through running. What a fantastic idea, and good timing, I thought to myself. So in my mind, I committed myself to run a half marathon 13.1 miles. I then looked into Team In Training, which was the group that raises money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Foundation. I decided to go to a meeting and check out what they had to offer. After all, cancer has certainly touched my life being that I have lost friends and loved ones from 2 years to 87 years old.
I listened to the coaches. I watched the video. I met the people. I saw the need...and I was hooked. What was even more exciting for me was that Team In Training (TNT) gave participants different options for races and formats. Detroit wasn't the only option. I saw that they were recruiting for what is called the "Nation's Triathlon" in Washington, D.C. Then I realized that this is the race I want to partake in, and the benefit is threefold. I get to raise money for such a worthy cause, I get to get even more fit in preparation for the big event, and I get to go to a city that I've always wanted to go to but have never been. Win, win, win all the way around!
So the decision is done. My fundraising web page is up, and I'm getting my list together so that I can share my mission with all of my friends and associates.
I'm REALLY excited about this!
Now all I have to do is train...Oh yeah, and get a bike.
---
Check out my fundraising progress at:
http://www.active.com/donate/tntmi/DunCAN
A few months ago after viewing vacation photos, I decided that it was time to get my tail in gear, lose some weight and get in shape. Essentially, just improve my life. I took pretty drastic measures. In one day, I stopped consuming sugar, enriched flour, caffeine, and alcohol. This decision was mostly due to inspiration from friends (especially Lynn and Patrick). They helped me decide what I didn't need to be eating, so I just went with it. Within one week, I felt better and the weight started dropping off, which was very exciting! So I kept going.
I started running, which is something that I've never taken seriously but have done off and on in my life. In a couple of months, I got myself up to 3, 4 and then 5 miles. I also decided that since I hadn't been drinking for a few months (other than 1 glass of wine and 3 yummy microbrew beers one weekend), I may as well stop drinking for GOOD. So, on April 6, 2007, that's exactly what I did. And I haven't had any since. (My friends are now placing bets on me and claiming I need "reverse-intervention".)
Fast forward up to a couple of weeks ago. I saw an ad in the Detroit News about the Marathon in October. This ad talked about how someone could designate a charity and raise money for them through running. What a fantastic idea, and good timing, I thought to myself. So in my mind, I committed myself to run a half marathon 13.1 miles. I then looked into Team In Training, which was the group that raises money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Foundation. I decided to go to a meeting and check out what they had to offer. After all, cancer has certainly touched my life being that I have lost friends and loved ones from 2 years to 87 years old.
I listened to the coaches. I watched the video. I met the people. I saw the need...and I was hooked. What was even more exciting for me was that Team In Training (TNT) gave participants different options for races and formats. Detroit wasn't the only option. I saw that they were recruiting for what is called the "Nation's Triathlon" in Washington, D.C. Then I realized that this is the race I want to partake in, and the benefit is threefold. I get to raise money for such a worthy cause, I get to get even more fit in preparation for the big event, and I get to go to a city that I've always wanted to go to but have never been. Win, win, win all the way around!
So the decision is done. My fundraising web page is up, and I'm getting my list together so that I can share my mission with all of my friends and associates.
I'm REALLY excited about this!
Now all I have to do is train...Oh yeah, and get a bike.
---
Check out my fundraising progress at:
http://www.active.com/donate/tntmi/DunCAN
Comments