September 4: (Not so) Tiny Bubbles
Today we had our weekly team swim practice. This was one of our longest yardages of the season before we taper down (reduce our yardage). The purpose of tapering is so that the body can recover and gain the much-needed energy for the big day.
Today, however, it was swim swim swim. I ended up swimming 3600 yards, and was pretty happy with my performance despite some stomach cramps. I thought that I had done it to myself again -- DON'T EAT SUSHI BEFORE SWIM PRACTICE! Man, that stuff is NOT fun to burp up. I was certain that my stomach cramps came from the sushi. However, Coach Anne asked what time I ate the sushi (which was at 11am), she quickly realized that my issue wasn't from the sushi but from the fact that my body was starving!
So I gulped down a pack of GU (a gelatenous shot of flavored substance that is packed with carbs and caffeine). Sounds gross, and some flavors really are. But this one wasn't too bad. Within minutes, my stomach cramps subsided, and I actually felt like I had more energy to swim. I LOVE that stuff! And my burping went away, so I had that going for me. (Sounds really sexy, doesn't it???) Yeah...
One thing that I realized on this particular swim (why this one, I don't know), is that bubbles are REALLY loud. I guess my mind just needed a mental vacation today and just happened to pick up on that fact. The next time you swim laps in the pool, block out your thoughts and just listen and you'll see.
---------
I'm almost there! Check out my progress at:
http://www.active.com/donate/tntmi/DunCAN
Today, however, it was swim swim swim. I ended up swimming 3600 yards, and was pretty happy with my performance despite some stomach cramps. I thought that I had done it to myself again -- DON'T EAT SUSHI BEFORE SWIM PRACTICE! Man, that stuff is NOT fun to burp up. I was certain that my stomach cramps came from the sushi. However, Coach Anne asked what time I ate the sushi (which was at 11am), she quickly realized that my issue wasn't from the sushi but from the fact that my body was starving!
So I gulped down a pack of GU (a gelatenous shot of flavored substance that is packed with carbs and caffeine). Sounds gross, and some flavors really are. But this one wasn't too bad. Within minutes, my stomach cramps subsided, and I actually felt like I had more energy to swim. I LOVE that stuff! And my burping went away, so I had that going for me. (Sounds really sexy, doesn't it???) Yeah...
One thing that I realized on this particular swim (why this one, I don't know), is that bubbles are REALLY loud. I guess my mind just needed a mental vacation today and just happened to pick up on that fact. The next time you swim laps in the pool, block out your thoughts and just listen and you'll see.
---------
I'm almost there! Check out my progress at:
http://www.active.com/donate/tntmi/DunCAN
Comments