My Longest Run to Date

Michigan's fall weather has, for the most part, been amazing so far. This day was no different. Today was a beautiful, brisk day. The temperature topped out at around 55 degrees during the day, which is perfect running weather. My busy day didn't permit me to get out of the house, though, since I had to take my kids to a pumpkin decorating party. (That was a treat for me too, since I always enjoy watching my kids have fun and it is also a great opportunity to catch up with friends.)

I ended up being able to lace up my shoes right before sundown and head out for what I hoped would be a long run. I wanted to knock out six miles, but I wasn't fully expecting I could do that being that I've only been running once a week in the last month.

The temperature was holding steady at 50 degrees, so I never felt like I was overheating. In fact, it was almost energizing. I decided to take my long route along Lakeshore Drive. It proved to be a good decision as I enjoyed observing all of the Halloween decorations that the mansions displayed.

After I circled back and was approaching my house, I started becoming disappointed that my run was over so quickly. I hadn't been keeping track of time, but it seemed as though it was over before I knew it. So I decided to run back towards the water, and added another mile and a half to my run.

By this time, it was dark. Only the street lights and an occasional passing car illuminated the streets now, so I had to be more careful to lift up my feet so as to not trip on cracks that may be hidden underneath the fallen leaves. With about a mile to go, I saw a blind man on the sidewalk coming from the opposite direction. I watched which side of the sidewalk he seemed to favor, so that I could safely navigate around him.

As I passed, I thought I'd be polite and say hello. I figured that he likely heard me coming since I am not the most graceful runner in the world...You see, I run more like an elephant than a gazelle. As soon as I said it, however, he was so startled that jumped straight up and let out a loud screech. Oh, I felt so bad. So much for good manners.

Anyways, I made it back home with no other incidences and tracked my route on beginnertriathlete.com. The end result? I ran 7 miles on the nose. I have only run that far one other time in my life, and that was almost 20 years ago.

Other than scaring the living daylights out of a blind guy, I am pretty proud of my accomplishment today. It gives me hope that I can perhaps run the full length when I race in the half Ironman in May. That will be a 13.1 mile run, a half marathon.

Now if Florida would just have nice 50 degree weather for the race like I had today...wishful thinking.

--------

Help me in my mission to raise $4,000 in the fight against cancer!
Check out my progress at my new web page!!
http://www.active.com/donate/tntmi/andi

Comments