August 28: An Ironman Distance Swim
Today we had a group swim practice at Cranbrook Natatorium. Though it was scheduled to start at 6:15, I got there a few minutes early and started warming up at around 6:05. It was wonderful, because I had the entire pool to myself for almost a half hour! (The other team mates were apparently outside of the building, talking and waiting for others to come.) I knew what I had to do, though, and I wanted to get started. So after my warmup, I began my mile-distance time trial. During that distance, the rest of the crew showed up and began their workout. I was far ahead at that point, and felt good about that.
I finished my mile swim in 31 minutes. I think that's an improvement from the last time trial, I'll have to check.
As the rest of the team was doing their time trial, I kept plugging away with the rest of the drills, and going a couple extra laps here and there. I wanted to see how far I could go before the time came where we had to get out of the pool. By the time 7:45 hit, I had swam 4050 yards. If that distance was by land, that is just shy of 2.4 miles (the distance that is required in a full ironman competition). However, a swim-distance mile is slightly shorter than a land distance. In fact, a full ironman swim is approximately 4000 yards.
So, I take great pride in the fact that I know I can go that distance, if I ever decide to race a full ironman someday. (Ok, stop laughing...)
---------
I'm almost there! Check out my progress at:
http://www.active.com/donate/tntmi/DunCAN
I finished my mile swim in 31 minutes. I think that's an improvement from the last time trial, I'll have to check.
As the rest of the team was doing their time trial, I kept plugging away with the rest of the drills, and going a couple extra laps here and there. I wanted to see how far I could go before the time came where we had to get out of the pool. By the time 7:45 hit, I had swam 4050 yards. If that distance was by land, that is just shy of 2.4 miles (the distance that is required in a full ironman competition). However, a swim-distance mile is slightly shorter than a land distance. In fact, a full ironman swim is approximately 4000 yards.
So, I take great pride in the fact that I know I can go that distance, if I ever decide to race a full ironman someday. (Ok, stop laughing...)
---------
I'm almost there! Check out my progress at:
http://www.active.com/donate/tntmi/DunCAN
Comments