R-E-S-P-E-C-T

I'm glad to report that my foot is about 95% healed up. I elected to not run with the team last Saturday, and sleep in an extra half hour. If I could still feel the bite on my foot without putting any pressure on it, I figured why would I want to run a few miles only to realize that I have to walk a few miles back.

Instead, I decided to head to Bally's of Bloomfield to do a hard workout in the pool. My intention was to hammer out between 6000-7000 yards (a good four miles). The long distance would certainly make up for the run, I thought.

After my 300 yard warm-up, I was on my way for the long haul. My foot was giving me no problems, and I was in a zone for the next 2000 yards. At least until a woman intentionally put a kick-board in my face so that I would stop swimming.

I looked up at her, and she asked me to move to the lane at the end since there was a seniors' water aerobics class starting. I would have gladly complied, but the lane that she wanted me to go to had stairs at the end which hampers any uninterruped lap swim, not to mention that it's a bit dangerous. Knowing full well that lap swimming is open regardless if there is a class or not, I asked her if we could reach a compromise so that I could continue my swim using only a half of a lane. She reluctantly complied...or so I thought.

Four laps later, all of the lanes (including the obstructed one where she had instructed me to go) were overtaken by the chatting women. I looked at them, they smirked at me. I looked at the teacher and raised my arms up with a non-verbal gesture of "aren't you going to keep your promise" type of look. Response? I was ignored. Flat out ignored. So the long, wonderful workout that I was so determined to do was cut short by a bunch of wading women and their noodles.

Oh, how I wanted to ask this "teacher" why she had no control of her class, and if she always behaved that rudely. I wanted to tell the "ladies" all why I was there, that I was training and that I was on a mission to race on behalf of those who have fought or lost their battle to cancer. Surely they have known someone who has been affected by cancer.

Instead, I quietly stomped off to the showers, got dressed and left. Oh, I did make one pit stop to the manager's office, simply to inquire and validate when open lap swim times are. As I suspected, the pool is open to LAP swimmers any time (not just leisurely floaters that can navigate around socializing ladies and their water dumbells).

Even though I have this arsenal of information, I know it likely won't do any good in the future unless I'm a total b*tch to them about it. I could be, but I choose not to be.

So I suppose I'll just stay away from their class times all together and get my frustrations out via this blog. Lucky you for being on the receiving end of my compaint.

Comments