All bark, no bite?
Life is interesting, especially when unexpected things pop up, throwing you a curve ball. Last night, as I was sleeping the night away, I was awoken suddenly by something I never would have imagined.
Now I've had dreams before that have seemed so powerful to me that I swear they were real. I've been overwhelmed by emotion, overtaken by paralyzing fear, and have even had the sensation of touch and physical feeling -- whether it was through an amazing kiss or a speeding bullet.
That is why this time, for a second, I thought that I had come out of a dream. I woke up suddenly to a very loud sound, followed by an immediate sharp pain in my foot. Taking a few seconds to get my bearings, I realized that it wasn't me that was dreaming, it was my dog. And I gather his dream wasn't a dream about frolicking in a meadow chasing butterflies. Instead, he must have felt threatened, because it was his bark that I heard, and his bite that I felt.
Yes, the gentle whippet that usually nestles next to my feet was the culprit of the pain. And I think as soon as he came to himself, he realized it. Because he left (almost as if his head was hanging in shame), not to return for the rest of the night.
The damage is minimal, though the pain is a little more than that. I suffered a puncture wound on the outside bottom of my foot, which may affect my running. It certainly affects my walking (at least to me). I'm wearing heals today, which seems to help take the pressure off.
My doctor now has me on antibiotics (just in case). I'm sure all will be fine, but I wonder how I'll do at my practice tomorrow. The swim certainly shouldn't be a problem, but the scheduled 8 mile run may be a different story. I'm a bit hesitant on that one.
I guess I'll have to play that one by ear. Glad that he didn't bite that!
Now I've had dreams before that have seemed so powerful to me that I swear they were real. I've been overwhelmed by emotion, overtaken by paralyzing fear, and have even had the sensation of touch and physical feeling -- whether it was through an amazing kiss or a speeding bullet.
That is why this time, for a second, I thought that I had come out of a dream. I woke up suddenly to a very loud sound, followed by an immediate sharp pain in my foot. Taking a few seconds to get my bearings, I realized that it wasn't me that was dreaming, it was my dog. And I gather his dream wasn't a dream about frolicking in a meadow chasing butterflies. Instead, he must have felt threatened, because it was his bark that I heard, and his bite that I felt.
Yes, the gentle whippet that usually nestles next to my feet was the culprit of the pain. And I think as soon as he came to himself, he realized it. Because he left (almost as if his head was hanging in shame), not to return for the rest of the night.
The damage is minimal, though the pain is a little more than that. I suffered a puncture wound on the outside bottom of my foot, which may affect my running. It certainly affects my walking (at least to me). I'm wearing heals today, which seems to help take the pressure off.
My doctor now has me on antibiotics (just in case). I'm sure all will be fine, but I wonder how I'll do at my practice tomorrow. The swim certainly shouldn't be a problem, but the scheduled 8 mile run may be a different story. I'm a bit hesitant on that one.
I guess I'll have to play that one by ear. Glad that he didn't bite that!
Comments