It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.
This morning, we had our group bike and run training. I was looking forward to the workout despite the cold, windy weather. The day started indoors at Fraser bike, where my team and I biked through a 60 minute spin workout. Coach Kevin worked us hard and I found myself quite winded more than once. By the time I was finished, I was invigorated having had what I considered the best bike spin practice yet this season.
After the bike practice was over, I was intending on running 4-6 miles outside. After I changed into some dry running clothes, I was on my way. Within a half mile, something unexplainable happened. My lower legs completely cramped up. I felt as if someone had transplanted someone else's legs onto my body. I experienced muscle cramps, shin splints, fatigue, all resulting in me having no choice to walk. For a time, I felt like I could barely do that. I was so frustrated and had no explaination.
With only a mile under my belt, I headed back to the bike shop, completely disgusted with my performance. I spoke with my coaches, who speculated a number of different reasons as to why this could have happened. Perhaps I spent too much time after biking before I started running. Perhaps I was dehydrated. Perhaps it was my shoes. Perhaps it just happened to be a bad day. All reasons were unacceptable to me, and I was ticked off at myself to say the least. But I was happy with one thing that I had done, which was to listen to my body when it shut down. I've learned that lesson the hard way before, only to find myself injured.
So what did I do after my pathetic performance? I drove straight to a running shop and purchased new shoes. I knew I was due, so I figured I could eliminate at least one variable.
Hopefully this was a freak thing and that this too, shall pass.
-----------
Join me in my mission to raise $4,000 in the fight against cancer!
Donate today at my Leukemia and Lymphoma Society web page:
http://www.active.com/donate/tntmi/andi
After the bike practice was over, I was intending on running 4-6 miles outside. After I changed into some dry running clothes, I was on my way. Within a half mile, something unexplainable happened. My lower legs completely cramped up. I felt as if someone had transplanted someone else's legs onto my body. I experienced muscle cramps, shin splints, fatigue, all resulting in me having no choice to walk. For a time, I felt like I could barely do that. I was so frustrated and had no explaination.
With only a mile under my belt, I headed back to the bike shop, completely disgusted with my performance. I spoke with my coaches, who speculated a number of different reasons as to why this could have happened. Perhaps I spent too much time after biking before I started running. Perhaps I was dehydrated. Perhaps it was my shoes. Perhaps it just happened to be a bad day. All reasons were unacceptable to me, and I was ticked off at myself to say the least. But I was happy with one thing that I had done, which was to listen to my body when it shut down. I've learned that lesson the hard way before, only to find myself injured.
So what did I do after my pathetic performance? I drove straight to a running shop and purchased new shoes. I knew I was due, so I figured I could eliminate at least one variable.
Hopefully this was a freak thing and that this too, shall pass.
-----------
Join me in my mission to raise $4,000 in the fight against cancer!
Donate today at my Leukemia and Lymphoma Society web page:
http://www.active.com/donate/tntmi/andi
Comments