New Year's Day 2018. The ball has dropped (and I am the one who dropped it).
Here we are, on a sunny yet bitter cold winter day. It's New Year's Day, 2018. I wanted to get those holiday cards out this year, but just never got to it. The intention is there, it is always there. Why does it seem like the older you get, the faster life passes you by?
Looking back on this blog, for example, I posted on a regular basis, and then the posts abruptly ended in 2009. I haven't posted since -- I dropped the ball. Granted, that was a time of rebuilding for me. I had just gone through a painful divorce and wanted to re-focus on my family.
Fast forward 9 years, and I can proudly say that I have accomplished my mission. I'm re-focused and blessed. My two beautiful children are growing up fast and make me proud every single day. I have a wonderful new husband who encourages me to be the best that I can be. I'm fortunate to have my health, and I have had the opportunity to participate in some wonderful activities (including regular running meet-ups with friends, OrangeTheory classes, the Las Vegas Marathon in 2016 and the Steelhead 70.3 Ironman with my trusted old friend Angelika in 2017).
So here we are on day one of 2018. I have a lot of goals I want to accomplish this year, but the overall objective is to live life to the fullest while working hard, setting a good example, and smiling a lot along the way. With that, here are some specifics:
I'm going to unplug more so that I can do more. It's easy to give my mind a break here and there, but that can equate to a LOT of wasted time. If I need to unwind, I'm going to turn to meditation or a quick conversation with family or friends, rather than Candy Crush. (In fact, I just deleted that app after writing that last sentence. I have been playing Candy Crush since 2012. As of today, I was on level 2,461. That's not a typo.)
I am going to pick up the dropped ball (this blog) and start writing again. I enjoy sharing the journey and my experiences. I just need to find the time spend doing it. And I will.
I'm going to continue to focus on improving on good habits, even simple things like waking up in the mirror with a smile on my face and gratitude in my heart. I'm really blessed to have been given such a wonderful life, and even more blessed by being surrounded by wonderful people. I'm going to do my best to make good choices not just for me, but for everyone around me.
And I'm going to continue to focus on my health, and with that, I am designating 2018 as the year of the unthinkable accomplishment.
Being that this is my last full year before I turn 50, I've decided to challenge myself to something new. I am setting my sights on completing a true ultramarathon -- a 50-mile trail run (again, not a typo) in beautiful northern Michigan (http://northcountryrun.com). My friend Angelika is planning on doing it as well (this was her "crazy idea" to me - challenge accepted).
Although many of you will think I've completely lost my marbles, I don't see it that way. I promise I'll train smart. I promise I'll listen to my body as I train. I promise to slow down when I need to. But I also know that being physically prepared will only be half the battle. If there is one thing that I've learned about myself, it is that being prepared mentally is an important key if I want to conquer any challenge, regardless if it is a race or it is life.
It's January 1, and I am ready to take on the year. Thanks to the family that loves me, the friends that support me, the coaches that mentor me, and the higher power that guides me, I will.
I'll leave with a re-posting of my last Facebook statuses of 2017, where I wrote the following:
The responses were overwhelming and so very supportive. Each one brought a smile to my face. In fact, I enjoyed them so much that I decided to make a montage of each of them so that I can hang them in my room.
This picture may not be 1,000 words, but it sure speaks loudly to what I want 2018 to be.
I hope 2018 brings you everything that you hope for as well. Cheers to a wonderful year -- now let's get that ball rolling!
Looking back on this blog, for example, I posted on a regular basis, and then the posts abruptly ended in 2009. I haven't posted since -- I dropped the ball. Granted, that was a time of rebuilding for me. I had just gone through a painful divorce and wanted to re-focus on my family.
Fast forward 9 years, and I can proudly say that I have accomplished my mission. I'm re-focused and blessed. My two beautiful children are growing up fast and make me proud every single day. I have a wonderful new husband who encourages me to be the best that I can be. I'm fortunate to have my health, and I have had the opportunity to participate in some wonderful activities (including regular running meet-ups with friends, OrangeTheory classes, the Las Vegas Marathon in 2016 and the Steelhead 70.3 Ironman with my trusted old friend Angelika in 2017).
![]() |
| Angelika and I proudly pose with our 70.3 medals at the 2017 Steelhead race in Benton Harbor. So grateful for my racing parnter in crime! She truly is an inspiration! |
So here we are on day one of 2018. I have a lot of goals I want to accomplish this year, but the overall objective is to live life to the fullest while working hard, setting a good example, and smiling a lot along the way. With that, here are some specifics:
I'm going to unplug more so that I can do more. It's easy to give my mind a break here and there, but that can equate to a LOT of wasted time. If I need to unwind, I'm going to turn to meditation or a quick conversation with family or friends, rather than Candy Crush. (In fact, I just deleted that app after writing that last sentence. I have been playing Candy Crush since 2012. As of today, I was on level 2,461. That's not a typo.)
I am going to pick up the dropped ball (this blog) and start writing again. I enjoy sharing the journey and my experiences. I just need to find the time spend doing it. And I will.
I'm going to continue to focus on improving on good habits, even simple things like waking up in the mirror with a smile on my face and gratitude in my heart. I'm really blessed to have been given such a wonderful life, and even more blessed by being surrounded by wonderful people. I'm going to do my best to make good choices not just for me, but for everyone around me.
And I'm going to continue to focus on my health, and with that, I am designating 2018 as the year of the unthinkable accomplishment.
Being that this is my last full year before I turn 50, I've decided to challenge myself to something new. I am setting my sights on completing a true ultramarathon -- a 50-mile trail run (again, not a typo) in beautiful northern Michigan (http://northcountryrun.com). My friend Angelika is planning on doing it as well (this was her "crazy idea" to me - challenge accepted).
Although many of you will think I've completely lost my marbles, I don't see it that way. I promise I'll train smart. I promise I'll listen to my body as I train. I promise to slow down when I need to. But I also know that being physically prepared will only be half the battle. If there is one thing that I've learned about myself, it is that being prepared mentally is an important key if I want to conquer any challenge, regardless if it is a race or it is life.
It's January 1, and I am ready to take on the year. Thanks to the family that loves me, the friends that support me, the coaches that mentor me, and the higher power that guides me, I will.
I'll leave with a re-posting of my last Facebook statuses of 2017, where I wrote the following:
Leave a positive word I can work into my goals for 2018 that starts with the 1st letter of your name.
It can only be 1 word.
The responses were overwhelming and so very supportive. Each one brought a smile to my face. In fact, I enjoyed them so much that I decided to make a montage of each of them so that I can hang them in my room.
This picture may not be 1,000 words, but it sure speaks loudly to what I want 2018 to be.
I hope 2018 brings you everything that you hope for as well. Cheers to a wonderful year -- now let's get that ball rolling!



Comments