Rechargeable Batteries are the Best Investment

Do you ever have times when you just need to get away? It's easy to get caught up in the moment, or should I say the thousands of moments that comprise a day. Staying focused is a requirement, yet a challenge. Juggling everything gives a sense of accomplishment, especially when you are successful at it. But then there are those times of feeling overwhelmed, totally stressed, having the need to just get away.

Often, I can address this need by taking an hour out for myself and submersing myself in music, or perhaps a hot bath engulfed with bergamot-scented bubbles. A good bike ride or run does the trick too, or just cuddling up with my kids on the sofa and watching a good movie.

Perhaps sympathy has come into play for me now that I have reached the tender young age of 40. "You need to get away, just for a couple of days," my dad said. His translation? A vacation for one. Wow, that sounds nice, but totally unrealistic. All those thoughts come flooding back into my head again -- kids, household chores, bills, work.

STOP, he said.

Just stop and breathe, and refresh yourself. Go off on your own, and recharge your batteries.

So I took him up on the offer.

I'm sitting here in Bal Harbour, Florida, on the last day of my small little vacation. I turn my neck just a little bit and look out the 11th story patio, and have a beautiful view of the ocean; my own little world. There has been no agenda since I got here three days ago. My intention was to get caught up on work, but as luck would have it, I have been unable to get a connection on my computer until today. So what have I done? Nothing but recharge. I didn't think that I needed it, but I realize now how low my battery actually was. It was like I was running on fumes of an empty gas tank.

So what is the lesson? Take the time to invest in yourself every once in a while. It's not as selfish as I once thought. In fact, I think it's a pretty good investment, which will have a good ripple-effect for everyone and everything I interact with.

Thanks, Dad, for the suggestion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Florida 70.3 Race Report -- Not Half Bad

A Personal Best, a Personal First, and a Glimmer of Hope

Meeting two heroes in one day