Hello from Dublin!

Hey everyone! I finally was able to find a place to hop online and give you an update. (Be forewarned, this may be the only post until I return.)

Our team made it to Dublin safe and sound, after a long, long journey from Michigan. It took us almost 12 hours to reach Dublin from Detroit (we had to go through Chicago first). I barely slept on the plane, though the ride wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. I was happy to know the weather forecast for Dublin ahead of time, because our approach in was BUMPY. We had to land in 45 mph winds (I didn't know planes could do that). We did circle around Dublin for a while before landing, just to "wait for the winds to die down a bit". I'm glad I like rollercoasters, because I felt like I was on New York, New York's coaster in Las Vegas (hands down the bumpiest ride I've ever been on). For once, I felt that the applause was well deserved when the passengers clapped after our safe landing.

Despite the fact that I only got 3 hours of sleep in the last 24 hours, I was able to enjoy Dublin a bit on the first day we got here. Granted, the weather was crap on the first day. Those blustery winds, rain and 45 degree weather doesn't make for a nice walk in the park setting. Some of us still found things to do, and I think we made the day as nice as we could have.

The food here is incredible. Everyone said how unique it is, and they are right. I got pizza as a first meal, and it was to die for. Of course, the beer is good too. I have stayed away from Guinness though, I'm boycotting it as long as I possibly can. (I'll fold when I take the factory tour, only because they give you free beer there.)

It is Sunday at 4:30pm now, and I'll be heading to the TNT pasta party soon to do some final carb-loading before the race tomorrow morning. It has been an enjoyable day today, with the weather being much more mild (mostly sunny and a gentle breeze of around 20-25mph).

We ran in the international breakfast run this morning, an"Irish 2 mile" run (which is actually a 3K). It was really cool listening to all of the people around me, talking in different languages. I really enjoyed it. We all gathered in a fabulous exercise facility afterwards (I'll post pictures later), which had an Olympic 50 meter pool, a huge rock climbing wall, and of course, a full bar and dance floor. What exercise facility can go without that in Ireland!?

The runners were treated to an authentic Irish dance performance after our run, as well as other wonderful Irish musicians. It was a real treat.

We also had a shirt swap with other athletes. I ended up trading with a nice lady named JoAnn. She is from New York, and she gave me a triathlon shirt from a NY race she had done over the summer. I, in return, gave her one of my TNT Michigan jerseys. (Scott, your PMV logo is now displayed proudly on a NY resident.)

My roomie and I spent the rest of the day just walking around and shopping. I think I did more damage to my wallet than my feet, but hey, that's okay.

Tomorrow is the big day, and I'm not really that nervous. It's more that I'm in denial, I think. I probably won't believe I'm doing it until after I cross the finish line. I've honed in on my goal, to run in under 6 hours. That's not aggressive at all, but depending on the sights, I am planning on stopping to take pictures in this supposed marathon I'm running in. (Did I mention I was in denial?)

The race will take place at 9am tomorrow morning (4am Michigan time). Just think, when you are driving to work, I'll be "running to work". I figured out last week that from door to door, it takes me just over 26 miles to get from my home to work. At least I'll have a good visual picture to work with. The people who will pass me will be the cars on I-696. I'll be jamming to the tunes while I'm in route. I just hope that I don't get a flat tire. If I do, I'll just have to stop, rest, change my thought process, and start once again -- because I am determined to finish this thing, no matter how many pot holes I have to overcome.

It's likely that I won't be able to log back on until I get back into the states, so you'll just have to sit tight to wait for the results. Until then, thanks again for all of your support in my journey getting here. I couldn't have made it without the encouragement from so many of you.

Cheers from Dublin!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meeting two heroes in one day

May 21: My First Swim Practice

A Challenge for Change