Grosse Pointe gone WILD!

In this quaint Detroit suburb, there usually isn't a lot of excitement going on. Most of the time, the residents, as well as the area, is rather low-key. Occasionally, there will be something newsworthy that takes place. Sometimes it's a resident that makes the news. Other times, the news may focus on a historic event or landmark.

Last summer, Grosse Pointe made the news when one of the residents, my neighbor down the street, was attacked (along with his dog Sparty) by two pit bulls. He had been taking his trusted beagle for a walk and was about a half mile away from the house when the dogs charged at them from nowhere. The dogs focused on Sparty but my neighbor courageously pryed off the dogs, fighting with them until they gave up their quest and ran away.

Sparty was seriously injured and needed emergency surgery. Our neighbor miraculously walked away with only a few scrapes, a puncture wound, and a story that eventually made its way to our local television stations. It all could have been much, much worse.

After the attack that day, I decided to go get pepper spray for the times I run. I had always thought about getting some as a safety precaution (to protect myself from bad people), but I had never thought I'd need it to fend off bad dogs. I admit that even today, I don't carry it when I run. I should, but I don't. I'm not sure why. Perhaps it's the same line of thinking when one looks at the sky on a beautiful sunny day and decides to bring an umbrella, just in case.

Last week, when I was out for an early morning run before work, I was enjoying the scenery around me when I passed two runners. "You may want to turn around," they said. "There is a pack of wild dogs just up the street at Jefferson and Cadieux." I saw the sincerety in the eyes of these two runners. They kept looking back behind them, as if they were being followed by a stalker.

That's all I needed to hear. "Thanks so much," I said gratefully. My mind wandered back to last summer and my neighbor's ordeal with the dog attack. I turned around, and contemplated why I don't bring the pepper spray that is sitting in my drawer at home.

I'm quite certain that extreme danger, whether it's an attack dog or someone looking to do harm to another person, probably doesn't dwell in Grosse Pointe, at least consistantly. This situation, however, is a great example of how important it is to be aware of your surroundings.

I am thankful that I didn't make news that day. As for the future? I can guarantee that I still won't bring an umbrella with me if the sun is shining. But from now on, I just may err on the safe side and carry that pepper spray when I go running, along with the hopes that I never need it.

Comments