Taking a Deep Breath

My schedule finally permitted me to get out and practice today. Though our swim practice was far for me (a good 45+ minutes away from home), I knew I had to do it. I'm glad I did.

We swam at the Livonia Rec Center, and that is one of my favorite facilities. The pool is awesome, the water temperature is perfect. Today's mission was to do two half-mile time trials. I completed the first at 14:35, and the second at 14:20. I just looked back on the first time I ever did a time-trial of that distance (back on July 11, 2007), and the first one was 15 minutes for the first and 16 for the second. The improvement doesn't seem like a lot on paper, but it's pretty huge to me, especially seeing the proof that I can keep up my stamina on long-distance swimming now.

Since I've started training last summer, I've focused on both swim technique and what breathing technique works best for me. Some people swim fastest when they hold their breath and do a forceful blow out at once. I, on the other hand, have taken to the school of thought that a slow, relaxed deep breathing technique, similar to what people learn when they scuba dive, works best for me. I breath every third stroke, and begin my exhale as soon as I see my hand pass me on my second stroke. By the time I hit the third stroke, my exhale is almost complete, and I can take a nice deep breath without it feeling forced. This method is almost like meditation for me, and it makes all the difference in the world. I couldn't imagine ever changing.

Perhaps that is one of life's lessons...When you are under pressure to complete the task that is set upon you, don't stress...just relax, focus, and take a deep breath.

I'm looking forward to getting back in the pool now to see what my time is for a 1.2 mile swim (the distance I have to swim for my half ironman). Another goal of mine is to simply see how long I can swim without stopping. I'm thinking that I could last about 2 miles (138 laps) or so...maybe I should start a betting pool.

-----------

Join me in my mission to raise $5,000 in the fight against cancer!
Donate today at my Leukemia and Lymphoma Society web page:
http://www.active.com/donate/tntmi/andi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meeting two heroes in one day

May 21: My First Swim Practice

A Challenge for Change