LOST: Motivation...Reward if found.

I have big plans for 2008. Athletically, I plan to finish the Wildflower Olympic Distance Triathlon without getting myself injured, including a successful bike up a steep, seven mile incline in the mountains of California. I plan to reach 13 miles in my run training in preparation for the Florida Ironman 70.3. I plan on crossing the finish line of that race before they close the course down. (I need to reach the last loop of the run before 3pm, and the course closes 7 hours after the start of the last swim wave.) I plan on not letting myself go once my two big races in May are done. I intend on continuing my training throughout the summer, and compete in local triathlons and duathlons with my friends.

I've got everything it takes to get all of this done. The tools, the support, the coaching, the ability. Well, all of the ingredients but one. Motivation. The last few weeks have been the hardest I've ever hit when it comes to being motivated. I've made some poor choices lately, like opting to go grab a beer after work instead of getting my butt into the pool or choosing to eat some food that I otherwise would pass on. (That large box of frango mints I got at Christmas? Gone within a week.) I've chosen to sleep as late as I can before work instead of forcing myself out of bed at 5:00am to get on my bike.

Lately, food, sleep and less-than-healthy beverages have been sounding pretty good, and I'm losing my focus. I knew this would happen, though, which is precisely why I joined the Team in Training program again last fall. It is the accountability through being a mentor, a fundraiser, a teammate and an advocate for such a good cause that is keeping me going. Otherwise, I fear that I may have just gone into a full tailspin by now. The fact that I have to go to team practice twice a week is the one thing I've been holding onto, telling me that I CAN pull myself out of this rut. I must.

A lot of people have inquired as to how I've been doing. Some people who have tracked my progress closely know that I'm not training the way I should be right now. I've been getting all sorts of comments lately, most encouraging me to keep going. For those of you who have been on me, THANK YOU. Don't give up on me, I need your support and your encouragement now more than ever.

This week, I plan on sharpening my focus and getting my sh*t together. If you read this, reply to this entry and tell me what YOU do when you find yourself unmotivated. I'm sure that I can learn something from everyone's situation, and I'm eager to hear yours.

-----------

Join me in my mission to raise $4,000 in the fight against cancer!
Donate today at my Leukemia and Lymphoma Society web page:
http://www.active.com/donate/tntmi/andi

Comments

Anonymous said…
I found some lost motivation on the side of the road this weekend…I heard you lost yours.

Seriously, though, I think that we all need to still enjoy life from time to time. And “losing” your motivation is only temporary. If you dwell on it too much, you’ll begin to get down on yourself. And that is when it becomes tragically difficult to “get back at it.”

So, enjoy a beer (or two) once in a while. You work hard. You train hard. The “down time” is just your body’s way of saying “wait up.” As long as you down beat yourself up, you’ll be back at it again.

And, by the way, its cold outside! Who in their right mind would want to run in this crap? Or go outside with wet hair after swim practice? I mean, really!
AlohaKarina said…
Hey! Hang in there, that loss of willpower happens to us all. When it does, I find that inspirational quotes help. Maybe it'll help you too??

I get onme every weekday from RunnersWorld Magazine, their "daily kick in the butt". That is at http://www.runnersworld.com/newsletter/0,7127,,00.html?cm_re=HP-_-Homepage%?cm_re=HP-_-Also%20On%20Runnersworld-_-Free%20Daily%20Quotes!, and you sign up for "101 kicks in the butt."

I also get emails from author MJ Ryan, they're called her daily "I Will" Power quotes. She is the author of this book called "This Year I Will..." I get these quotes from her every day and I find them helpful to get my fanny in gear.

For example, this morning I didn't really want to run, I was just being lazy, then I read the quote pasted in below. It got me off the couch. I ran the treadmill, and managed five miles at an 8 1/2 minute/mile pace, which for me is a new best.

So you CAN overcome the inertia. I signed up for the emails by sending her an email saying, "Sign me up for daily I Will Power quotes!", and her email is: maryjaneryan@gmail.com.

Here is the quote that got me going this morning. Hope the daily inspiration is helpful to you too!
--Karina

Ever find yourself thinking one thing and doing something altogether contradictory? Like "I should work on my project" and then turn the TV on? We're all a mass of contradictions, particularly when it comes to the things we think we "should" do. It's because we really have two brains. One is our emotional brain, which we share will all mammals. It only understands "pleasant" or "painful," and "safe" or "danger," the patterns for which were created when we were very young. The other is our thinking brain, where we decide that we want to do something different. But depending on what it is, how it's presented, and what we've done in the past, our emotional brain may not cooperate. That's why we so often "sabotage" ourselves—our emotional brain overrides what our thinking brain has decided in favor of immediate pleasure or perceived safety. That's why, to truly change, you've got to get your emotions on your side. We change not because it makes sense (I should go to the gym to be healthy), but by engaging our feelings (It's going to feel fabulous to be thinner.) If the change seems too scary, too hard, or no fun, your emotional brain is going to work against it. So how can you make this more fun? Engage your wanting self more? That's a key to success.
-- MJ Ryan
Anonymous said…
Andi,

Here are two quotes that I hope you find motivational:

"Obstacles are those frightening things you see when you take your eyes off your goal" Henry Ford

"Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve" Napoleon Hill

Your mind and body often need rest, something that sometimes is easy to forget. These are not the true "obstacles". Your eye is on the goal and your mind truly believes, which quite frankly is all you need.

We all admire these traits in you and support you in every way!

BT
Anonymous said…
Andi,

Here are two quotes that I hope you find motivational:

"Obstacles are those frightening things you see when you take your eyes off your goal" Henry Ford

"Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve" Napoleon Hill

Your mind and body often need rest, something that sometimes is easy to forget. These are not the true "obstacles". Your eye is on the goal and your mind truly believes, which quite frankly is all you need.

We all admire these traits in you and support you in every way!

BT
Anonymous said…
Hey girl! Sounds like you might need a mental break. I felt this way back in September at the end of the season, so I totally know what you mean. I took a break for a few weeks and got to the point where I missed my training. Mentally, it's hard to keep it up at the pace we do all year round. Cut yourself a little bit of slack and rest your mind as well as your body. Then, you'll feel up and raring to go again!

Another thing that might help is changing up the routine a bit. Maybe do some other sports that keep your muscles moving and growing like rock climbing, or skiing, or underwater basket weaving, or whatever.

Just a couple of suggestions....for whatever they are worth! You rock, no matter what!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Meeting two heroes in one day

My Glorious Feet

A Challenge for Change