An Amazing Benefit for Vesna

I was priviledged to attend an amazing event today, a benefit concert in honor of my friend Vesna. When I walked through the doors of St. Clair of Montefalco in Grosse Pointe, I expected to see about a hundred or so people who were friends of Vesna or patrons of the Vienna Cafe. Instead, I walked into a full church with well over 800 people. I quickly realized that there were so many people that were just like me, who considered Vesna a friend regardless of how long they've known her.

In a short six-week time span, a few of Vesna's dearest friends, Barbara Ogar and Mr. Fishman pulled together an amazing benefit concert that included musicians from all walks of life. Some were from the Detroit Symphony Orchestra, some were local muscians who performed with the Grosse Pointe Symphony, some were children who have played on Vesna's piano in the cafe, and some were complete strangers to her who had never met her yet who volunteered their talents for this special cause.

Regardless of the history these musicians had with Vesna or her friends, the music that was created this evening was truly harmonious and beautiful, as if these talents had rehearsed together for months. It reminded me of the background music that fills the air every time I walk into The Vienna Cafe with my daughters. I felt right at home as I listened to the notes dancing gently through the air.

I'm confident that the money raised tonight for Miss Vesna was substancial, which brings me comfort. Medical expenses are not cheap, nor is the cost to run a restaurant (which still has yet to open again). I know that every penny raised today will be used wisely.

It is said that if you throw a pebble into a lake, the ripples of the impact will change the shoreline forever. As I looked around at all of the people that came together for Vesna today, I realized how true this statement is. Vesna is that pebble, and her impact is obvious and broad. She is an amazing individual who makes everyone feel that they are beautiful, inside and out. Her positive energy is contagious, and it is clearer than ever that she truly has made an impact on everyone who has ever met her, beit once or numerous times. She certainly has made an impact on me and my children, and we are the better for it. I am hoping that her struggle with this terrible cancer has a happy ending so that we can all celebrate.

Thanks to everyone who organized and participated in this event today. You are all amazing and I really enjoyed the entire experience.

-----------

PLEASE HELP ME in my mission to raise $4,000 in the fight against cancer!
Donate today at my Leukemia and Lymphoma Society web page:
http://www.active.com/donate/tntmi/andi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meeting two heroes in one day

My Glorious Feet

A Challenge for Change